Information about Peru
- Area: 1,285,216 km² (land: 1,279,996 km²; water: 5,220 km²)
- Population: 29,248,943 (July 2011)
- Capital: Lima
- Language: Spanish (official) 84.1%, Quechua (official) 13%, Aymara 1.7%, Ashaninka 0.3%, other native languages (includes a large number of minor Amazonian languages) 0.7%, other 0.2% (2007 Census)
- Religion: Roman Catholic 81.3%, Evangelical 12.5%, other 3.3%, unspecified or none 2.9% (2007 census)
- Climate: varies from tropical in east to dry desert in west; temperate to frigid in Andes
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT -5hrs
- Currency: Nuevo Sol [PEN]
Peru is in Western South America, bordering the South Pacific Ocean, between Chile and Ecuador.
With a total of 7,461 km land boundaries, Peru shares borders with
Bolivia (1,075 km),
Brazil (2,995 km),
Chile (171 km),
Colombia (1,800 km), and
Ecuador (1,420 km).